The concept of aromatherapy It consists of two terms: to Rome (chemical compounds that include odor particles in their formula) and therapy (the area of medicine focused on how different health disorders are treated).
Aromatherapy consists of medical use of essences or essential oils : the fluid present in certain plants that is characterized by its penetrating smell. It is a technique which is usually included within the alternative medicine (that is, it does not find sustenance in the traditional medical-scientific community).
The origins of aromatherapy are remote since several ancient peoples turned to aromas to treat diseases and various discomforts. Baths with essential oils and the spread of sahumerios were some of the first manifestations of aromatherapy.
Due to the high concentration of essential oils, aromatherapy is usually dilute them in other substances to avoid irritation or burns. However, it is important to note that most of the essential oils are not ingested or applied in the eye area.
The essential oils can be diluted in hot water for the patient to inhale the steam . Another possibility is that, diluted in cold water or another type of oil, rub on the skin .
Let's look at the application methods of essential oils in more detail below:
* inhalation : This is the most common way, and can be carried out directly or indirectly. As mentioned above, it is possible to mix the oil with water. An alternative to the mere location of the product near the patient is the use of diffusers, to promote the movement of the particles in the air, and is often used to treat respiratory problems or even for certain skin disorders;
* massage : Depending on the type of ailment to be treated, it is possible to apply the oil directly on the affected area and perform a massage , whose intensity also depends on the problem in question. This form of aromatherapy is widely used for muscle contractures;
* aromatic baths : When the patient's problem is related to his blood circulation, a proper application is to take a hot water bath with a few drops of essential oils. It is important to reduce the water temperature from time to time, to achieve the degree of relaxation ideal and avoid injuries;
* poultices : These are soft topics that can be applied both hot and cold, and are recommended to treat skin problems or muscle aches;
* internal use : This is the least common application of aromatherapy, and is only possible with certain essential oils. In addition, it is very important that it arises as an indication of a professional, who must also perform a check to limit consumption.
Each essential oil offers different Benefits , thanks to its specific healing properties. Among the most used are the following:
* bergamot : Used for cases of depression, stress and anxiety, as well as to normalize appetite. It is refreshing, energetic, revitalizing and stimulating;
* cypress : their properties Purifying, invigorating and sedative are ideal to reduce the symptoms of menopause, certain allergies and stress, and to calm the nervous system;
* geranium : It also serves to treat depression and to relieve menstrual symptoms. Its stimulating and balancing action offers especially good results to improve mood and overcome states of distress;
* ginger : provides a stimulus of immune system which helps fight colds and flu, improves blood circulation, is ideal for preventing nausea and dizziness during travel, is relaxing and promotes proper digestion;
* lavender : Aromatherapy uses this oil to soothe headaches, relieve burning bites and burns, and regulate high blood pressure.